Today we finished our last project – accordion flag books. I think these look beautiful. This book structure is really meant to sit open, on display. The pages were monoprints we did the day before. A little hiccup there as some of the prints were pretty heavy on ink and we didn’t have enough dry ones to make up all the pages. To solve that the children drew on a few pages using pastels (I wish I had stuck with just black!). The covers were simple black and white pastel resist. Colour is nice but to be honest I think the books look much more sticking in just black and white and if we had printed the pages earlier in the week, or been more controlling about ink use, I think they would have looked fantastic with just the monoprints. Still, sometimes you have to go with the flow.
This is a wonderful way to display work – I’ll definitely be doing this one again.